Perhaps just as important as having a sound financial plan in place is maintaining and updating it. The fact is that things change – jobs, goals, dreams, family, you name it – and your plans needs to be updated on a fairly regular basis to stay on track with your long-term goals.
Try to think about your finances like a living entity that needs an annual checkup at the doctor. It’s important to make sure everything is working the way it should, and if it isn’t, you’ll be able to fix any issues before they get worse.
Tips for your review meeting:
- Financial Review Checklist – When you meet with your advisor, you’ll need to have information on any changes so you can go over everything that has financial importance to you. Let your advisor know what has changed in the past year so they can advise you on how this could impact your plan Your checklist might include:
- budget changes
- family changes – divorce, marriage, loss of a family member, new child, or a child moving out
- income changes
- tax or legal changes
- asset changes – real estate, inheritance, debts, etc.
- changes in your goals or timeline for retirement
- Bring Questions – Are you unsure about your financial plan? Wondering about whether your financial strategies still apply? Be sure to write down any financial questions you have for your advisor. Your advisor is a great resource for providing you with additional information about your money and investments!
- Go Annually – For many Americans, budgeting and financial planning is a daunting task they’d rather put off and hope for the best. However, if you’ve decided to partner with a financial advisor, you are in the position to take advantage of their knowledge and expertise to get your finances in order. Your advisor needs current information about your life to be able to help you. Don’t skip out on this important meeting each year. Meeting with your advisor doesn’t take much time and is a great way to make sure you are working towards achieving your financial goals.
A financial review with your advisor is a great way to take stock of your money goals, see what worked, what didn’t, and make adjustments for the new year.
Reach out to me to schedule your financial review so you can relax knowing you’re on the right path for another year.